Monday, September 17, 2018

Blue Bridge Bucket List

I've often admired runners.  I'm not sure if the fascination came post or pre-wreck but since my injury, watching runners or even avid walkers is something I sometimes envy.

In your twenties, one never imagines themselves in a wheelchair.  But I was.  And due to extensive damage to my leg, I had to learn to walk again.  I still vividly recall the progression of healing.  Moving from hospital bed to wheelchair...to walker, to cane...and then a limp that never really seemed to leave, despite physical therapy. 

Though it seemed forever and the days were long, it was only months spent confined.  Yet, it was enough to be grateful daily for the freedoms many of us take for granted physically. 

The first time I was able to drag myself to the car and into the driver's seat, I sobbed.  That simple act, something I'd done hundreds of times before without a thought took so much effort. 

Steps were my nemesis.  Still are.  Going down is more difficult than up, which may seem odd to someone who has never suffered from knee issues.  But when flexibility and range of motion are altered a downward step isn't done with the ease it once was. 

Though only one leg was injured in the crash both feel the pains, as the stronger took on the weight of both and quickly became worn.  Exercise, though an activity I used to enjoy, isn't easy.  My legs will usually tire out long before my drive and determination do. 

For a few years, I simply gave up when it came to walking (or my health).  Sitting on the sidelines, though not where I wanted to be, was where I could be found. 

Last fall, during a camping trip with my family, I surprised them by suggesting a hike.  Wanting to see Cumberland Falls, I had my mind set on navigating steps, regardless of the pain it might cause.  To everyone's surprise, I did much better than expected, mostly due to getting a jump on weight loss a few months prior. 

Since then, I've noticed my stride and speed improving.  My posture more erect and confident.  It's amazing how much your bones appreciate not carrying around extra baggage!


Saturday would see another check on my bucket list by walking across the blue bridge during its annual closure. 


Though I didn't participate in the 5k (next year goals!)  I did make it across and back in one piece. 

excited & ready to tackle the bridge!
Yes, my legs burned and my hiney wasn't happy that night but it actually felt good to have that type of pain.  Instead of pain from inflammation, fluid retention and injury, it was discomfort from muscles being worked.  And I can brag I walked across a river and two states!  ;)

Hot. Tired.  Proud & Happy.

It was a highlight joyful moment from a busy, blessed weekend.  But I couldn't have done it without strength from God, a total focus on my health, and a super-supportive spouse.







0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 photo design by_zpsv1mvteci.png