Sunday, April 26, 2020

Borrow a cup of sugar?




When is the last time you borrowed something from your neighbor?  Growing up we always had family nearby so it was nothing to run up the hill to an aunt's or across the field to grandma's to get something we needed. We never really borrowed from neighbors that weren’t family though,  that I can recall.

My husband, on the other hand, has lent or borrowed things in our neighborhood many times.  We live in a Cul-de-sac with a friendly group of people who watch over each other's homes/kids but I can’t say that I’ve swapped many cups of sugar.

Even before the pandemic, my cousin and I often swap or borrow things we need.  Having her close by has been a blessing in many ways but probably more so These days. It helps to know that within walking distance there’s someone you can trust and count on.

Especially during this time, when going to the grocery store is an ordeal, we have found each other dropping off, sharing, or swapping things we need. Social distancing always practiced of course.

 I’ve noticed others doing it as well. My husband has bartered or traded for services a few times in the past several weeks. And when he mistakenly bought the wrong type of soil for my plants, a nearby friend and former teacher stated online she would buy it. Of course, when I had my son drop it off, I had no intentions of her doing so.  But she was prepared to pay in the form of homemade bread.


It reminds me of the old days when bartering and trading was a common form of currency. I wonder how it lost its value along the way.

Bartering became popular during the depression because of lack of money. It’s interesting that we are faced with nearly the same dilemma almost a century later.   While there are many things about the pandemic that are difficult or frightening this common courtesy I see as a welcome change.  And I for one will always except fresh baked bread, country eggs, or a good cup of coffee as currency anytime.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 photo design by_zpsv1mvteci.png