Thursday, October 25, 2018

In His Timing

The past two weeks we've hosted a Bible study at our home.

If you told me several years ago our extended family would all be in church together, much less doing a study, I might have chuckled.  While I would say most have always been believers, in some form or fashion, church attendance was just not something everyone did.

But God can work out even the most unlikely situations for His good.

My paternal grandfather was a preacher so he was my faith foundation.  As a child, we went to church when visiting them.  After we were married and Austin was born, Tim and I discussed raising our children in church and how it was a value for us both.  We sporadically went for them, growing a little with each passing year. There were seasons we were regulars and others where life got in the way.

Ironically, it wasn't until after losing our oldest church became not just a habit but our lifeline.

We've watched our pew outgrow room and most Sundays now there are three to four rows of family together.  When approached by our pastor to host an upcoming Bible Study, we eagerly accepted.  And seeing the sign-up sheet after the first day, it was clear God had a plan for who He wanted there.  Our entire roster was and is family.

At first, I was uncertain if this was the best idea.  (This is where I think I'm smarter than God...)
But wouldn't each of us grow better if we were spread out among other groups?  Didn't we need to be stretched outside our comfort zone?  And what I quickly learned is that for many attending, this was already out for them. 

I forget not everyone is on the same path in their Christian walk.  Some are just starting out, some lost in the weeds, some climbing mountains and some further along.  How soon I forgot how uncomfortable we were at our first Bible studies or small groups.  Though it seems routine now, God is using us to help guide and encourage others. 

What a better blessing is there to do it among double family - family by blood and by the blood of Christ!  Though we are only a few weeks in, we've already seen God moving and working among the group.  I'm joyfully expectant at how He will continue to do so through this process and the days to come. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 photo design by_zpsv1mvteci.png