Thursday, July 23, 2015

Summer Countdown

Eek!  School starts in TWO weeks.

The calendar has been looming for us all.  We've tried being in denial but there's just no avoiding it anymore.  In 14 days, gone will be the extra glorious hour of sleep in the mornings.  Gone will be the relaxed time with hubby over a cup of coffee to start our day.  Gone will be the leisurely jaunt out the door to get to work.

In its place will be chaos and frantic dashes, forgotten folders and scarfed down breakfasts, and about a dozen, "It's time to get up....NOW!"

While I'm not looking forward to the few weeks it'll take to get used to the adjustment, there are things about the school season I have missed.  Routine, as much as I dislike the alarm clock, is good for all of us.  The ride to school, though only about 10 minutes, is great time spent with the kids.  And who can forget the scent of new school supplies?!

But...my bucket list for summer is so very empty compared to the dreams I had for it last spring.  Where does the time go?!

Having a teen with a job was a change for us and ended a bit of spontaneity that summer allows.  (Not complaining.)  We feel very blessed to have a 15 year old who already has an amazing work ethic and desire to save.  These are life skills that will serve him well.  But tossing pies means a lot of weekend work, so there haven't been many open slots to do one of my favorite summer activities.

The Drive-In.

Do you have one close to where you live?  With less than 400 left in the US, it is becoming a rarity from the past.  I've been longing to stretch out my toes in the grass under a blanket of stars, hold a giant tub of popcorn, and laugh with the family.  As Noah has an unsusal night off, that is just what we're planning this weekend.  And I don't even care what is playing!

The rain or scorching heat has hindered most boating time for us this year but seeing everyone's Florida and vacation pics has me itching to be on the water.  Hopefully we can squeeze more lake time in before summer comes to a close.

And we've only had one dinner outdoors.  Though my deck is in serious need of TLC, I miss being out there with the family.  Funny side story.  When Noah was little I told him one evening we were dining alfresco.  He looked at me curious and said, "What kind of restaurant is that?"

I've just been longing to linger outdoors.  Especially during my favorite time of day - twilight.  The past couple days I've driven home about that time and it makes me want to stop in the road, roll the windows down and breathe in deeply.

Actually, I did just that last night.  After dropping my momma home from church, I left with the windows down to hear the crickets and cicadas.  The sun had just sunk in a pink and blue wash in the sky.  Driving slow, partially because of the curves and gravel but also because I know this is the time of night for animals in the road, I spy 4 baby deer.  They bounced away too quickly for me to capture but I did catch a piece of the beautiful sky before it snuck away.


And I paused.  In the middle of the road to take it all in.  The simple peace of the moment made me hungry for more.

Don't leave just yet, sweet summertime.  I have plans for you still!  For homemade ice cream and low country boils.  Camping in a tent.  To feel the pull of a fish on my line.  Random rides down country roads.  Listening to classics so good you want to roll the windows down and turn the radio up.  Floating on the water (or in) or both.  Enjoying a picnic in the afternoon under a giant tree. Catching fireflies. Smelling the honeysuckle.  Laying on a blanket and cloud watch.  Having a water fight.

What's on your wish list for the rest summer has to offer?


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 photo design by_zpsv1mvteci.png