Thursday, July 2, 2015

To Have and to Hold

When we were married 22 years ago, we were PO-OO-OR.  Our seven hundred dollar budget for the wedding didn't leave much to honeymoon, which is why we went simple and stayed at a tiny fishing cabin on Kentucky Lake.

Not much has changed in two decades, other than maybe we've dropped an O or two.

Each anniversary we try to get away though, often back to that same beautiful lake.  On our lucky 13th, we were blessed to finally go on our "dream honeymoon" to Jamaica.  The past few years, it's worked out that church camp falls right around June 21 so we have an easy escape.

This year, I was hobbling around from a recent fall so we spent our special day resting in the living room.  My hope was that I'd feel better by this week, when the kids were gone to camp.  And although Tim was swamped at work, he promised to find a way for at least a one day getaway.

Saturday night, he came hobbling in the door.

For the next 48 hours we spent a great deal of time at various doctor offices hearing "broken fibula" and worrying about recovery.  Thankfully, ortho doesn't believe he has a fracture but Tim is looking at several weeks of healing.  I guess the unexpected blessing is that now his one day off has been extended, even if he doesn't feel like doing much.

I went to bed a little grumpy Tuesday night, throwing a pity party in my head on our change of plans, as Tim read the Bible.  Before turning off the light he grabbed my hand and made a comment about how much we have to be grateful for.

Yes, Lord, I needed this reminder.  

This minor bump in the road is nothing compared to what others are facing right now -or what we've already endured.  And as I gently wrapped my arms around my husband, I pulled him closer, thankful I still have him to hold.

Yesterday was the first day of my vacation, which I'd already signed up for, but no exotic adventure awaited me.  Neither of us feel like going far, and it'd be a turtle's race to see who could get there faster; but hey - at least we have each other!

#ISuckAtSelfies
As I brought him breakfast, I joked we were living it up at Blair's B&B but that mentality stuck.  After all, what do you really do on vacation?  You relax, nap when you want, eat yummy food, shop a little, go sightseeing and spend time together.

Tim got in several naps and I used the alone time to read and relax.  We ventured out for a matinee, laughed and ate too much popcorn.  Killing time before the movie we "shopped" at the pet store nearby and played with the birds.  I grilled us two yummy steaks for dinner. And we've spent lots of time cuddled together.

 Sounds like a pretty good vacation Day 1 to me!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 photo design by_zpsv1mvteci.png