Tuesday, December 29, 2015

2015 Rewind

Every year on January 1st, I make black-eyed peas.  And every single year, I'm the only one who eats them.  Some years I manage to get the family to choke down one fork full.  This year, I'm excited to try a new recipe.  

I've been rethinking our menu anyway, since our traditions need to be tweaked a tad.  Normally, on NYE we lounge around, eat appetizers, watch movies and ring in the new year.  This year, as both my men will be working, we'll have to celebrate the day after.  

So, I have decided to transform new year staples of black-eyed peas and cabbage into appetizers.  This morning, while watching GMA, Trisha Yearwood showed a yummy dip using the peas that she claims even the biggest critic will enjoy.  It's topped with cheese.  As my guys think cheese is a food group, I'm convinced it is a win.  And for the cabbage, I'm going to try my hand at homemade egg rolls.  I know they won't compare to my Aunt Sandy's, but I am up for the challenge.

While I'm already thinking of the first day of the year, I have also been reminiscing on the past twelve months.  2015 was filled with unexpected events, a year of great changes within our family.  Come along with me as I recap and look back on the past year.


January 2015 - the birthday month for both Noah and me.  This year, we surprised him and in the midst of it found a sweet hello from his big brother.  I set my word of the year as SOAR, though I'm not sure we took off as I envisioned.

February - This month would see changes in how I cared for my family's health forever, as I began using doTERRA essential oils.  Over this year, I've continually been amazed at their power and am so grateful to God for the gifts he provides to the earth - and for leading me this direction.  

March - I was especially grateful to see spring arrive, after the winter we had.  Sixteen years of being spoiled with snow days found me knee deep in reality - wet icky snow!  I had to learn to not just drive around on it but walk through it while doing home visits.  Coming home to a warm meal was a little easier though, due to a grandma contraption we purchased.  

April - We enjoyed a mini vacation in Nashville, let the kids experience the Grand Ole Opry, and Noah discovered a love for hot peppers.  Our home saw a big change as 15 year old, worn and ugly green carpet was replaced with plush and fluffy flooring.  

May - As school came to a close and summer began more changes occurred in our home.  Noah, at only 15 would secure a job.  It has become such a blessing for him, allowing him to be in the kitchen, (a passion he loves) and is shaping his character.  In the midst of turmoil within our family, God revealed an answered prayer I'd whispered for years.  

June - SOAR would come back to haunt me, as I flail off a set of steps.  Actually they disintegrated beneath me and flung me into the yard, breaking a rib.  Essential oils would once again come to the rescue, healing me in record time.  And an impromptu silly post would become a reader's favorite.  Who knew?!

July - Injuries would continue, as my hubby hurt his leg.  At first we were told he broke his fibula.  Thankfully it turned out to just be a bad tweak.  We hobbled and wobbled into our anniversary and created a staycation to celebrate at home.  Austin's 21st birthday  - a day filled with bittersweet tears and a beautiful remembrance from his brother.

August - A new roof and a prayer this one lasts longer than the one we put on just a few years prior.  God sends me just the needed message at 2 am.  And I had a goosebump hug from above from Tim's mom that was heaven-sent in timing.

September - After a stressful summer, I gladly welcomed fall with open arms, high up in the sky.  Our family participated in Operation Inasmuch with our church and I had the honor to see God's plan from start to finish.  And I learned that although I'm busy at work, with frequent up/downs, in/outs, I really don't take the necessary steps.  Something to work on for 2016!

October - Noah and I checked off a food bucket list by attending our first Nut Club Festival.  And the three of us enjoy our first vacation together in four years at a tiny schoolhouse.

November - a cloudy month for us, darkened even a bit more by watching someone we love struggle with deep depression.  But true to tradition, our acts of kindness to remember Austin would send just the needed help for our hearts.  On the cusp of Thanksgiving, I'm filled with gratitude for the blessing of two amazing sons.  

December - And here we are again.  A new job for Tim.  And a month of upside-down traditions, but a reminder that no matter how Christmas finds you, He is ever-present.

At times 2015 felt like more lows, than a year full of soaring.  Looking up the meaning of the word this morning though, I'm drawn to this one...

to fly without power

The year had dips, swings and unexpected paths, but throughout 2015 we most definitely were carried by His great power.  May I remember that wherever life's journey takes us we will always be soaring because we're beneath God's mighty wings.  

Prayers that JOY, peace and strength find you in the New Year!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 photo design by_zpsv1mvteci.png