Sunday, January 3, 2016

One Word 2016

Happy New Year!

I hope the first few days of 2016 have treated you well.  For me, it is back to reality tomorrow, as the holiday break has ended and alarm clocks return.

In all actuality, I didn't really sleep in at all this vacation.  Having a hubby who arrives home in the morning kind of changes your body clock.  Most days I found myself up to spend time with him, drinking coffee before he retired to bed.

As usual the break didn't seem long enough.  Eleven days may look like a lengthy vacation but when you add in the hustle and bustle of Christmas those days breeze by.  But I'm thankful for the break and I did squeeze some rest and relaxation in, as well as quality time with family.

With the new year approaching it gave me time to reflect, learn from mistakes made, and look ahead to the future.  The past several years, I've given up on resolutions (that would be quickly forgotten and failed) and moved toward choosing a word for the year.

Some years God has planted it, some I've just picked a word, but this year I prayerfully considered it. Searching for devotions to start the year, I found a short four day devo focused exactly on finding your one word for the year.  I entered it hopeful God would speak to me and He did, quickly.  I'm always humbled, goose-bump covered, and feel so very blessed when He does.

At first I felt the word was forget, as passages and photos started to appear with that theme.  While I get the message He was sending me (and it certainly incorporates into the chosen word), it also seemed a tad negative to approach the year promising to forget.  Memory loss is a problem in our family, though we often joke about it, and I didn't want that word hanging over my head!

In the end, the word that came to be is focused on letting go of the past and seeing what is ahead.  For me specifically, releasing past hurts and wrongs, stop dwelling on what could have been and what should've been done differently and setting my mind on the future.  For what God has in store.



My word had been chosen.  

The first day of my newly found yearly devotion would find this scripture, I still get goosebumps thinking back to all the ways God confirmed this be my focus for 2016.



The devotional I picked for my phone was random and among hundreds to choose from.  When I selected it, my One Word had already been chosen.  God is so good.

It's a great year for FORWARD to be my one word, as it is a mega milestone year.  I turn 40 in five days.  My baby turns 16 on the 19th.  He could tell you about how many seconds that is, if you ask.  And hubby turns the big 5-0 in September.  Austin, not wanting to be left out says hello, as it will be our 23 wedding anniversary, which is his special number.

I'm anticipating a year of blessings.  


I look forward to the good that God has promised.  And all that I will learn along the way.

Do you choose One Word for the year?  I'd love to hear about it!




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 photo design by_zpsv1mvteci.png