Monday, July 16, 2018

A Year Transformed

One year later.

I told myself many times not to post this, for many reasons.  The before photo is not one I'm proud of but I'm proud of the girl who knew she was worthy enough to fight for one more time.  The after photo isn't where I wanted to be by this point but she's better and healthier than before which means the most!  

When I look at the girl on the left, there's so much that has changed.  She needs to tell her story... 

I remember that day vividly.  One more attempt...one more try.  I felt frustrated, hopeless, tired but yet - determined not to give up.  Though I avoided the camera something told me to snap a starting pic.  They say a picture is worth a thousand words and every time I look, it speaks volumes.





The girl on the left lived in daily, chronic pain.  It hurt to walk, even just across the room, often feeling like stabbing knives when attempting.  Most days, that girl had to will herself out of bed, even though it also hurt to be in bed.  Often it was hard to breathe.  Sometimes she wondered if she would die because of her weight.  That girl would look in the mirror and wonder where she went.  She lived in anger for where she was and how she'd let her body down.


 But that girl told herself this time would be different.  This time was a life-change, not a temporary quick fix or diet.  This time she went into it prayerfully, knowing she wasn't strong enough on her own. This time...she wasn't focused on a number on the scale (though she had to be reminded often) but was instead determined to change her mindset.  This time the focus was on health.  And this time she solely concentrated on nutrition. 


In the past, I tried to do it all at once.  Inevitably, if I tried to include working out my knee would soon give out and set me back, which would send me spiraling and I would give up.  So what if I only worked on nutrition?  Would it really make a difference?

One year later, I can testify without a doubt, it has!  There may be progress seen visually in the side by side but what is felt most is the difference internally.  When you eat better, you feel better!  

People ask what I did/am doing.  The short and simple...JUST EAT REAL FOOD!  Shop the perimeter of the store -or better yet the farmers market.  Fresh is best.  However, for me, eliminating sugar and processed "foods" has been life-changing.  I am no longer tempted by junk because my body knows and recognizes it for what it is.  

Was it easy?  No.  There were pitfalls and setbacks.  It took time, dedication and yes, money.  But the investment to spend a little more buying healthy food was worth the savings in health care.  Over and again.  And cutting out fast food saved us money!  Sugar was a serious addiction I didn't even realize I had.  The cravings and withdrawals were real.  But after the hurdle and fog lifted - why ever go back?  I promise fruit will taste so sweet once your body learns what it should taste like again.  Everything tastes different (better) and food becomes fuel, not a pastime.  

About six months into my journey I was hit with another obstacle, being diagnosed with Alpha-Gal.  The daily habits that were working for me now had to be paused and adjusted.  Being seriously allergic to foods caused anxiety and I was forced to make even simpler choices.  Around that time I discovered juicing (celery) and began following the advice from Medical Medium.  Again, evidence of God helping me through.

This post is for the person who is at the end of their rope.  Who has almost given up and isn't sure there is any hope for them to feel better.  Who thinks health is just for the lucky few.  You are worth the effort!

PCOS, hypothyroidism, EBV, fibro, a broken knee, extreme food allergies and a tight food budget did not prevent me from making health a priority.  I had every obstacle (and excuse) to not succeed.  And by society's standards or the scale, I'm not a success.  I'm a continual work in progress and proud of where I am today.  Health is a journey you must take one step, one day at a time.

I'm so thankful that one year ago today, I bravely took that first step.  It was the first day of the best of my life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 photo design by_zpsv1mvteci.png