Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Be Still

Have you ever turned down the radio when you're trying to find something while driving?  Or just needed to quiet things in order to think?

Yesterday I got caught in a downpour and turned my radio off so I could concentrate and see the road.  Since I'd already scanned the stations for warnings, as tree limbs slung around me, finding none I felt the need for peace to drive.

After about 10 minutes and upon topping a hill, I found retreat.  Clouds broke and all was calm.  With my radio still off, lowering my wipers, I drove the rest of the way in silence. 

But the peace spoke volumes...

It made we wonder how often we miss things due to the chaos and noise of this world.  Everywhere we are something is striving for our attention.  Whether visually or through sound, we're attacked with news, advertisements, gossip and more. 

The barrage of noise we encounter daily reminds me of those annoying wind dancers that flop and wiggle on the side of the road.  Most of it is useless and just a distraction from the better things in life.

As I continued to drive in silent peace, my thoughts went to a simpler life, before car radios even existed.  I wondered how much more time was spent in prayer and talks with God when not faced with the noisiness of this world. 

And as beautiful fog lifted from beneath the trees and rays of sun began to peak from stormy clouds, I heard the scripture, "Be Still" from within my soul.


All of this lasted less than 10 minutes but had a profound and lasting effect on the rest of my day.  It reminded me of the continuous need to slow down, be still and rest in Him.  Not just as I start or finish my day but all throughout it.  In the silence, I am joyfully awaiting what I will hear.



1 comments:

Bonida said...

I love my quiet time with God when I drive. I turn my radio off a lot. It’s like He whispers it’s our time

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 photo design by_zpsv1mvteci.png