Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Clinging to Christmas

Signs of Christmas seemed to pop up overnight on November 1st. 

The Great Pumpkin must have swooped in and collected all the fall decor because as the sun rose, orange was out and green was in.  Driving to and from work, I counted multiple homes with Christmas trees aglow.  And the number is rising every day.

It's a bit of debate.  People are either pro-early Christmas or against not giving Thanksgiving the spotlight.  Much like politics, we are a country divided. 

Personally, it doesn't bother me.  We are a decorate Thanksgiving weekend family mostly because it became a tradition years ago with our kids.  But also because we use a real tree and it can't survive an extra month of display.  I'm completely at peace with the mingling of the two seasons because gratitude and Christmas are perfect partners.

I tend to find sadness in how quickly people tear down Christmas.  With one swipe, the litter of wrapping paper and any sign of the holiday is cleared.  For me, the week after Christmas is my favorite.  The hustle and bustle is gone, schedules slow and I can still myself in the glitter and glow of the tree.

A quiet house with only the lights of the Christmas tree is beautifully calming for the soul. 

That stillness helps me to pause and reflect on the true meaning of this season.  To sit in gratitude of the many blessings, as I think back on the past eleven months and look forward to new year.

I believe that is why many are so eager to put up their tree and decorate.  There is a magical air in this season because Christmas symbolizes love, the birth of a promise and Hope for our future.  No matter the division or chaos of this earth, Christmas reminds us there is more.  The sparkle, childlike anticipation and warmth of the season is but a glimpse of the wonder we will experience in eternity.


And that is most certainly worth clinging to...every month of the year!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 photo design by_zpsv1mvteci.png