Sunday, December 17, 2017

Fa La La La...Ha Ha Ha

I'm a momma big on traditions, always have been.  Traditions are our connection to family; they give us a sense of belonging.  But nobody prepares you for when those traditions change. 

With a near-grown teen, I've had to shift and adjust our annual customs the past few years.  Some traditions ended, some altered and along the way, new ones added. 

A missed tradition; however, has been driving around to view the Christmas lights.  When the kids were younger, we'd load up the car with blankets and pillows, a thermos of hot cocoa, and wear our snuggly PJs.  Favorite CDs of the holidays would play in the background as we toured the sparkly scenes. 

With a teen who works weekends, the past couple years this tradition has slipped by.  Time seems to go much quicker the last month of the year and before we knew it, the holiday would pass.  When I realized Noah had this past Saturday night off, I decided to make plans for us to revisit this favorite pastime. 

Now, we could've just ridden around our county but I selfishly wanted to soak up as much family time as possible.  So, I opted for a drive a couple hours away that promised a one of kind show with dancing lights.  It did not disappoint, even after waiting in line an hour, but I think what I enjoyed most was hanging in the car. 

It's not often I get my towering teen in the same vehicle, since he normally prefers to drive his own car.  He drove most of the way up and played chauffeur and DJ to Mom and Dad in the backseat, his best friend shotgun.  On the way home, we switched. 

As it was daylight on our way to the light show, we viewed the scenery and some amazing houses.  It was interesting to hear the kids talk about their dream homes for the future and what they would do.  After passing a mansion that made our home look like a shed, one of them said they would love to live there if a rich uncle just gave it to them.  When I asked how they would afford utilities like electric and water, they promised to be frugal.  This made us cackle considering how long of a shower Noah takes and the fact that I'm always going behind them and turning off lights.

On the way back, Noah scrunched into the backseat and played games with his buddy.  I loved hearing them joke and snicker back and forth.  It was reminiscent of old times.

In fact, the ride home was so full of laughs from the many you-had-to-be there scenarios that I can't even write. Honestly, there isn't a story to share, as I can't recall what even made us start laughing.  But it was the kind of side-splitting, snorting, feel good all over laughs that make you giggle each time you remember.  I needed and relished those laughs and thought it was fitting, as today marks the Advent week of JOY. 

That's my wish for you, friends.  May you have the kind of JOY that fills you with laughter from head to toe and keeps you smiling all week long!

"Do you want to build a snowman?"

One of the songs during the light show was from Frozen and we were roaring that Noah's male friend knew
 ALL. THE. WORDS.  And sang along passionately.  So obviously, Blitz had to pick on him this morning!




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 photo design by_zpsv1mvteci.png