Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Retrospect 17'

As the year comes to a close, it is a tradition on this blog to take a look back before beginning anew. 

Instead of starting in January and working down, I thought I'd start where we are and travel back down memory lane.  December is still here, after all, and I'm trying to relish in the season.  While there are lots of chores I could be doing, I spent the morning baking cookies and have spent a lot of time by the fire catching up on Christmas favorites time hadn't yet allowed.

Just because it is no longer December 25th, doesn't mean the festivities have to end.

I'm a little sad to see our new elf friend, Blitz, get packed away.  He was an interesting way to count down the days to Christmas.  Though Noah changed his name every day and liked to pick fun, I think he actually enjoyed seeing his shenanigans each morning. 

This holiday was a mix of old and new traditions.  Our table is still littered with board games, where we'll sneak in a game or two each day over break.  Christmas Eve we attended our yearly candlelight service.  And a few new outings included a home tour date, snowmen painting, as well as a day trip to see dancing lights.

November...a month that will forever be bittersweet for us.  One I try to face with gratitude instead of sorrow.  Celebrating our thankfulness always leads to joy. 

For the first time in my adult life, I got through a holiday season by losing weight instead of gaining.  Thanks to a new way of eating, November would see the milestone of 40 pounds lost.  Though I still have miles to go, I am confident this transformation can continue into the new year.

Sugar-Free Me!
October - We kicked off one of my favorite months with our annual trip to the Nut Club festival, but we quickly realized our stomachs couldn't hold what they used to!  And we went camping, something we had forgotten how much we missed!  It was so nice to disconnect from the outside world and reconnect with those who matter most.  Maybe an RV is in our future someday!  I experienced my first escape room and quickly discovered a career as a detective is definitely not in the cards.

Noah and I had a very impromptu senior photo shoot, when the photographer had to cancel last minute.  With a working teen and fallings leaves, I knew another pretty day might not happen so we made the most of it.  In the end, I'm thrilled with his photos and even more the memories we made.

    

September - a time for slowing down before the busyness of the season speeds up life, although most of my free time that month was spent preparing for a women's retreat our church had.  I was in my happy place though, planning and sharing with others how to find moments to Be Still.  

August - back to school with my baby becoming a Senior.  Writing this, I count that nearly four months of his final year have passed.  I knew the time would quickly pass but goodness, how it flies.  

My sugar detox would send my body into an itchy rash, as it tried to revolt and, ironically enough, I would spend a weekend baking cookies for our Operation Inasmuch event.

July - what little bit of summer we had left to enjoy, we tried to make the most of by cramming in a trip to the drive-in, visits from littles, and an afternoon or two fishing.  My new hobby, rock painting, would also inspire a special way to remember our oldest son on his birthday.  



June - in what is normally a relaxing, carefree time of year, where we traditionally escape for an anniversary trip, we spent most of June in the hospital or confined indoors.  The past year has been difficult for Tim, health-wise, with random but serious respiratory events (that in my opinion we still have no good answers over.)  In the end, all we can do is give it to God and make the most of each day.  

May - Noah's first prom.  A surprise Mother's Day trip and step back in time.  The start of boating season, though it would be a short-lived one. And a focus on self-care, I didn't realize then I would need so much for what lay ahead.  

April - the promise of Spring! A sweet nugget of a nephew comes to visit.  A powerful message from my momma that refreshes me each time I read it.  

March - Mortgage burning party!  How quickly 15 years goes by and how thankful to not have that monthly payment looming over us anymore.  First butterfly of the season and longer days to enjoy the sneak peeks of sunshine.  And a memorial tattoo years in the making.  


February - Hearts Day and lessons on love.  A shift to complain less and celebrate more.  New red doors that still have me smiling each time I arrive home.  

January - Choosing my one word, that I'll be honest, I forgot about until just now.  Maybe I spent it more selfless than years prior but I know I have still work to do.  A new study Bible that by year's end would be worn, dog-eared and scribbled down most sides, marked with blessings along the way.


2017 has been a year of ups and downs.  I'm thankful for the experiences, memories, and milestones. 
Yet, I'm hopeful for the year to come.  Here's to much JOY in 2018... 




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 photo design by_zpsv1mvteci.png