Tuesday, August 19, 2014

What's in Your Bucket?

Hello, my name is Heather...and I'm a food junkie.
Or, as the cool kids say, a Foodie.

Although I know my love language is quality time, if a new category opened up in "food" I'm sure that would be mine.  At least, it's the way I think.  If you're sick or feeling blue, it is just in my nature to head to the kitchen and whip up something for you.  I love gifting food to others.  When trying a new recipe, I smile inside awaiting the reactions from the family or friends.

One of my most favorite gifts ever from Tim has been the mixer he bought me this past year.  And I'm sure we'll spend a long life together.  Well, Tim can stay too.  (wink)

As much as I love cooking and enjoy being in the kitchen, I absolutely adore trying new food experiences. When I travel, it is a rule that we can't eat anywhere we have at home.  It's my preference to not even eat anywhere we've ever been before.  And much of my planning in preparing for a trip is to scope out restaurants or dishes off the beaten path.  Forget the tourist traps, I wanna eat where the locals go.


When I eat around my neck of the woods, I'm known for rarely eating the same thing.  Even though I loved the customers who ordered "the usual," as a waitress, I try to order something new every time.  

The adventuress foodie in me has rubbed off on Noah.  He shares my passion for cooking and trying new things.  He just sometimes regrets what he orders.  And normally I'll trade with him.  Except for the latest mishap he received.

This past weekend we were boot shopping for his welding class and were strapped for time to squeeze a much needed dinner in plus make it across town to another store before they closed.  We opted for a Asian restaurant next to the shoe store.  A quick glance at the menu agreed with my budget and appetite so we were seated.

While Noah will try new things, he sometimes has a hard time choosing quickly.  This particular night Mom had to step in.

"Do you want sushi, Chinese, or Hibachi?"  (they offered all three)

"Chinese, I guess," he says.

After a few glances... "Ok, Noah, how about this, that, or this?"

He found something called Shrimp with Lobster sauce, which sounded decadent, but included no information so we asked.  Language barriers kept us from really understanding her answer but Noah decided to go for it.

SEVERAL minutes later, after I'd resigned myself to the fact that we wouldn't make it to other store, his food arrived.  And (gulp) it moved.

It wasn't alive, but it wiggled.  

A slimy, gelatinous mixture of goo was on his plate with a side of rice.  
If you're eating don't read this next line....


Basically it looked like an elephant sneezed out shrimp and crab.  

Yuck.  Ick.  And no thank you.

As adventurous as I am, I couldn't do it.  I give him mad props for even putting any of it in his mouth.  He took a few bites and then when he started playing with it, I moved it to the other table so I could actually finish my food.  

And although this particular story wasn't a yummy win, most of the time our adventures are good.  Part of the fun is just in trying and learning about different cuisines.  I've tried alligator, eel, octopus, turtle and goat, to name a few, fruits I can't remember the name of in Jamaica, and to-die-for risotto and escargot on a cruise.

But there's so much more out there I want to taste.  As such, I have a food bucket list.

Some things I just want to try to say I've done it.  

Pho - a Vietnamese noodle soup, Rocky Mountain Oysters (look it up if you don't know) and Caviar are among the top of my list.  

Other foods I want to try IN the location they're known for.  Call it a Foodie Road Trip.

Among them my tops are authentic Fish & Chips, a beignet from Bourbon street, and a deep, ooey-gooey pizza from Chicago.

So, of course, now I want to know yours.  Give me your top three, whether it be something you've always wanted to try.  Or, places you want to experience.  

My taste buds are waiting.






0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 photo design by_zpsv1mvteci.png