Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Cleaning the Big House

We signed up on the church cleaning rotation this year.  Tim and I figured it was a family activity we could all do together.  I'm not sure the kids were thrilled at the idea, since that five letter word usually gets groans and eye rolls around here.  I've enjoyed it though.  But then cleaning and organizing is kind of my thing.

Or rather, I take it at spurts.  My sink may be gleaming from a recent scrubbing but laundry is hiding in the other room.  I can never fully manage to keep everything clean at the same time.  Tim says our house gets only really clean for company or the holidays.  He also jokes I never feed him well, except on those occasions mentioned above.  I'm pretty sure he's neither starving or that I'll appear on an episode of Hoarders anytime soon.

The kids would say I'm a neat freak.  This was a hard life change for Tina when she first arrived.  To her, putting up the dishes meant swinging open a door, tossing it inside, and shutting it real quick before something fell down.  A few broken dishes and serious conversations later, I think I've trained her to do better.  When Noah was little, I'd hoped a little of my OCD had rubbed off him, as he liked things a certain way too.  Over the years though, he's dusted most of that off.  Or rather, maybe that's the only thing he's dusted!  Seriously though the kids do decent.  They know how to walk a fine line between messy and good enough not to get fussed at by mom.

Our first time on the rotation was a learning experience.  It probably took us double the time of anyone else, but we wanted to do a good job and really didn't know where anything was.  I truly found joy though while cleaning.  The scripture, "whatever you do, do it for the glory of God," just kept whispering within me.  Scrubbing counters or floors, wiping down walls, and taking out the trash, I felt pride in my church.  I felt blessed to be a part of this family.  Cleaning reminded me that is our church too and I felt grateful.  Later I joked that every member should be assigned a shift, just to experience that feeling.  Somehow I don't think it will pass at a business meeting though.

And honestly, being told to do it, rather than sincerely wanting to, probably makes all the difference in the world.  When you love something, you freely give of yourself.  Volunteering at church is an honor for our family and one that blesses us each and every single time we do it.  Whether it is helping in the nursery, at VBS, delivering meals at Thanksgiving, or cleaning the floor!


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 photo design by_zpsv1mvteci.png