Friday, March 15, 2013

Faithful Friday: My Life Song

Throughout my life I've kept many journals.  It began with a small pink "Dear Diary" with a heart shaped lock, to the online blog you read today.  In between, my Dear Diary days moved to dreams and gratitude journals.  Recently, I began keeping a scripture journal.  This change has made such an impact on me spiritually.

I've always been drawn to words.  I write them down, remember them.  Quotes call out to me.  I highlight and share them. Scripture strengthens and sustains me.  I retain, underline, memorize, and strive to live them. 

My current Bible, though still fairly new, a beloved birthday present from my mom last year, is already filled with notes and lines drawn under or around important scriptures that spoke to me.  But sometimes I'll come across them later and wonder what led me to underline them. 

Now that I'm keeping a scripture journal, it gives me a chance to reflect and write more about my reading that day.  And though I've only begun it this year, I can already go back and read again to remember what God was sharing me.  I can see how a concern played out and how that scripture prepared or grounded me for what was to come.  As someone who loves to write, I can't believe this isn't something I've done before and I'm a little sad thinking of all the God moments missed out on.  Then again, maybe I wasn't ready to listen until now...

This week, I came across a beautiful song in Psalm.  I was familiar with several verses within it but I don't know that I recalled the entire Psalm.  Every line just reached out and spoke to me, and I found myself nodding and tearing up, feeling as if someone looked into my soul and wrote the words of my heart.  My journal entry ended simply with, "Is this not my life song?!"


Psalm 30


I will exalt you, Lord,  for you lifted me out of the depths
and did not let my enemies gloat over me.
Lord my God, I called to you for help, and you healed me.
You, Lord, brought me up from the realm of the dead;
you spared me from going down to the pit.

Sing the praises of the Lord, you his faithful people; praise his holy name.
For his anger lasts only a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime;
weeping may stay for the night, but JOY comes in the morning.

When I felt secure, I said, “I will never be shaken.”
Lord, when you favored me, you made my royal mountain stand firm;
but when you hid your face, I was dismayed.

To you, Lord, I called; to the Lord I cried for mercy:
“What is gained if I am silenced, if I go down to the pit?
Will the dust praise you?
Will it proclaim your faithfulness?

Hear, Lord, and be merciful to me; Lord, be my help.”

You turned my wailing into dancing;
you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy,
that my heart may sing your praises and not be silent.

Lord my God, I will praise you forever.


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 photo design by_zpsv1mvteci.png