Monday, October 10, 2011

Family Lines

As I mentioned in yesterday's post, we had a family reunion yesterday.  I've always thought it funny how even at family gatherings there are "strangers" or people you rarely see.  Someone new would walk in and there'd be a pause where all the younger generations would turn to the older for help.  With just a glance we were saying, "Who is that and how are they related to us?"  And then, in a quick whisper, we'd be updated on our family line.

Of course, even without knowing names, it was obvious that each person who walked in was related to us.  These folks were Davises....they were McGuffins...they were from my Grandma and Grandpa on my momma's side.  They were family. 

I saw it in the twinkle of of my Grandma's eyes, though she wasn't there.  I heard her in their laughter.  I saw my Grandpa's ears, his hands, his fat little nose, and broad shoulders, but not on him.  All the signs of my grandparents were there, though they've been gone for several years.  It made me miss them both but I found comfort in looking around the room.  Strange how I noticed it so much on those I haven't seen in years yet never recognize it our immediate family.  But we all have it, those family lines - physical traits that make us who we are.

That's not just what makes us family though, the fact that we look similar.  We are fried chicken and biscuits.  Rook and Rummy.  We are RC and sweet tea.  Bear hugs and big laughs.  We are bad jokes and pranks.  Grey hairs and thick thighs.  We are miles apart but close-knit.  Garden growers and flower planters.  We are old bones and young souls.  Railroads and pickup trucks.  These family lines and more have been passed from one generation to the next.  We are all Davises and McGuffins...and one big-messed-up-but-wonderful-family!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 photo design by_zpsv1mvteci.png