Friday, July 20, 2012

Faithful Friday: Joyfully Serving

I'm up to my eyeballs in cardboard boxes, glow sticks, and a schedule so crazy a clown would have trouble juggling.  But I'm filled with JOY.

VBS starts next week at our church, and for the first time in many years, I get to help!  Not just drop off my boy (who is now too old to drop off -sigh) but really, truly help...and teach!  You can do a happy little search on this blog and read more about my love for VBS that started as a young child.  The memories I have of Bible School are of my own childhood, at my Grandpa's church, and of watching my two boys grow in their faith. 

Not only do I get the joy of volunteering this year, but so do Tim, Noah and Tina.  VBS is a family affair this year.  And I couldn't be happier.  Tim, Mr. Fireman, is all safety and traffic.  Noah, Mr. Athletic, is all Recreation.  And Tina, Miss Artsy, is on decorations and assembly.  Me, lover of all things drama, is part of Bible Adventures, where the kids will actually see the stories come to life each day.  So. Much. Fun!

I love how God is using each of us and our unique talents and abilities for His glory!  I'm excited and honored to serve him in this way.  Next week's posts will surely include some stories from VBS and the joy I already know it will bring.

As I was drawing stones onto those large boxes last night, which will soon be transformed into the town of Capernaum, I reflected on how this all began.  On our first meeting with my other "Bible Adventures" ladies, one of them asked if we could start with a scripture.  The one she chose is below.  It immediately spoke to me because it is one of many that contain the word JOY, but it is a beautiful Psalm regardless.

It is a scripture that has remained on my heart as I've prepared for next week and I pray that it stays - in the midst of the chaos of ......the cramming session we will have this weekend to prepare, remembering my lines, rushing home from work to scoop up the family each night and get to church on time, late nights to re-decorate the room for another adventure, and the exhaustion I'm sure that will come.  I hope I don't get caught up in the busyness of it and savor the joy.  I pray I remember that the only "to do" list I should truly focus on for VBS is to help bring as many children to him as possible.  Amen!


A Psalm of Thanksgiving.

Make a joyful shout to the Lord, all you lands!
Serve the Lord with gladness;
Come before His presence with singing.
Know that the Lord, He is God;
It is He who has made us, and not we ourselves;[a]
We are His people and the sheep of His pasture.

Enter into His gates with thanksgiving,
And into His courts with praise.
Be thankful to Him, and bless His name.
For the Lord is good;
His mercy is everlasting,
And His truth endures to all generations.
Psalm 100
 


***Join us at EHBC VBS next week...July 23-27, 5:45-8:30 pm. If u need a ride call 298-3400. Ages up to 6th grade.  Hope to see you there!








2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great blog! Might bring my 2 little ones! :) Christi

joyfulchallenge said...

Oh, please do! They would love it! :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 photo design by_zpsv1mvteci.png