Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Sweet Summertime

Summer break only just begun and already I feel it slipping through my fingers.  Time passes so quickly and before you know it all the lazy, crazy days of summer will be gone.  I'm sure Noah feels the same way as so far every one of his "free days" have been filled with busyness.  Not counting the extra long weekend we just came off of, the other two days of this week have been lost to work, running errands, and appointments. 

Tomorrow won't be any better, as I've taken a sick day to get his dentist, shots, and school physical done and out of the way.  Since I'm anticipating a little bit of stress with tomorrow's vaccinations, I thought I'd focus on some joy this evening!  Even though summer just started (and it officially doesn't begin until June 21 - our anniversary), I thought I'd "recap" what I know I will love and enjoy about it, even before it happens.

Actually, we did experience a bit of summer this weekend so I'll backtrack and begin with those memories.  They included visits to our local annual Strawberry Festival...complete with carnival rides, cake walk, ice cream, sunscreen, funnel cakes, oh, and of course, strawberries!  We also managed to squeeze in some time at the grill and enjoyed fresh, crisp salad, grilled chicken and tenderloin, brats, and hot potato salad (the official food line-up for any great cookout!)  And last, but certainly not least, our first of many summer trips to the Drive-In!

I love the Drive-In and would go every weekend if my schedule would allow and they'd stagger movies the right way.  This past weekend was wonderful, as they were showing movies my guys would agree to - "Thor" and "Fast Five".  Even though they were action packed macho movies, I was a happy camper (and the views I had weren't too shabby on either of them)!  No matter what is on though, I just love sitting outside under a blanket of stars, enveloped with the scent of honeysuckle, feet up on a cooler, snuggled under a blanket, with a big tub of popcorn and being entertained.

What we didn't get to enjoy this past weekend, but I hope to soon, was being out on our boat.  With the flooding, the rivers just aren't safe to be on yet so unless we want to drive an hour, it'll have to wait.  I tend to avoid the water on a holiday weekend anyway, as we prefer the calm and peaceful scene versus the party barge.  By next weekend though I hope to be perched in my co-captain's chair rocking gently with a fishing pole in hand afloat whatever lake we decide to visit.  Boating is a big chunk of our summer time and I couldn't be happier about that!

Summer for us will also include lots of S'mores, homemade ice cream, grilled-everything-you-can-imagine, fresh vegetables from the garden, roasted hot dogs, Island Burgers and any other seasonal delight...camping (and we do it old school, in a tent, on the dirt, the way God intended!)...at least one trip to the zoo...some type of mini family vacation, lots of day trips, road trips and other outings...cloud watching on a soft blanket...star gazing from the deck...catching lightin' bugs...swimming...4 wheelin'....corn hole...sleeping in, staying up late...being lazy, bonfires, cookouts, family, friends....FUN!  So, I guess I better get off here and start enjoying all that summer has to offer!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 photo design by_zpsv1mvteci.png