Friday, August 10, 2012

Faithful Friday: Rest for the Weary

My husband is stubbornly stubborn.  At least when it comes to sitting still.  My most difficult task in being his nurse is keeping him at rest. Though we're only a few weeks into what I know will be a lengthy healing process, I'm at the point of seeking prayers for myself more than him!  Joking....but it really is a stressful job to keep an active, easily bored, injured hubby at bay. 

I'm realizing now it was easiest when he was in the hospital.  Perhaps I need to borrow an IV pole and strap him down?  I know he's frustrated.  Tired of hurting but more than anything feeling guilty about everything he can't do.  One of the reasons I love Tim (and what sometimes frustrates me most) is that he is a giver.  He likes to help others and enjoys staying busy.  Explains why he has such a love for firefighting.

He has at least put down the pager and is not responding.  I think he knows himself too well and that he wouldn't be able to NOT help if he saw someone in need.  For this I am thankful, even though I know it is driving him crazy.

Last night, after a quick run to church to deliver a meal, we came home to find him in the garden.  Actually my first clue was that the front flower bed was wet.  It didn't take me long to trace the water hose to hubby.  Tina was bouncing ahead of me, finger swaying, "Timmy! You know better than to be out here," as if scolding a child.  Instantly the kids were at his side, gently pushing him back up the deck and asking for assignments.  They weeded (as well as teens will) and staked up our sagging tomatoes, fed the birds and watered the rest of the plants.  I could see Tim chomping at the bit though to get back out there.  I know he never does anything halfway though and his back didn't need him to be twisting, pulling, bending or weeding!

I tried to distract him with the amazing weather and sunset.  It really was a beautiful summer night.  We've had so few gentle summer nights to enjoy this year.  And I reminded him that in every trial we face, there's always a message or lesson to learn.  As someone who never rests, even on vacation, perhaps this is God's way of getting him to slow down.  Weeds have their place in this world too.  Flowers will eventually fade and tomato plants will die.  It will be ok if some things just don't get done right now. 
...Now, if only I can convince him of this.

While researching for this post, I was surprised to learn that "no rest for the weary" stems from the Bible (Matthew 11:28-30).   So, next time hubby sighs and uses this phrase as his excuse for why he won't sit still, I'll read the above scripture and the one below to him (and myself)!

The Lord replied, “My Presence will go with you,
and I will give you rest.”  - Exodus 33:14

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 photo design by_zpsv1mvteci.png