Friday, August 3, 2012

Faithful Friday: School Days

Summer may not officially end until September but schedules and routines are quickly approaching.  This is our last long weekend before the school bell rings.  Although I took a vacation day, it's not been to relax; it's operation back to school in this house!

As of Tuesday, alarms will be set an hour earlier and the big yellow bus will once again be seen in the neighborhood.  We've been knee deep in pencils, notebooks, and binders, (after I scoured the best deals online of course!).  It's seriously amusing how happy it makes me to find packs of mechanical pencils for .29 cents.  And how giddy I get sorting it all out, Sharpie in hand, to organize everything.

Today was spent shopping with my baby boy, who is unbelievably a big 7th grader this year.  Actually he could easily pass for a high schooler but it's hard to let him grow.  Last night we went on a tour at the middle school so he could meet his new teachers.  He's pretty excited about many of teachers and most of his classes, especially pre-algebra and science.  Well, that and the sea of new girls he gets to swim through in between those classes!

I enjoyed my last Mom & Noah day of the summer.  It was filled with sushi and shopping, music and laughter.  Two of the highlights of the day were the giant smile on his face, after finding the most awesome pair of shoes, and the even giant-er hug I got at the end, thanking me.  I love that he still enjoys hanging out with mom and that made hours of fighting crowds, long lines and deal finding all worth it.

There are so many wishes and dreams I have for Noah, as he begins this new chapter in his young life.  May he be challenged and excel academically.  May he have many friends but also be a friend to many.  May he find comfort in his ever-growing and changing self.  Most of all, may his character improve more than his GPA. 

While I want Noah to do well in school, the lessons he learns for life are far more important to me than if he memorizes and aces a test.  My wish is that he'll give as much time learning about God as he does studying the periodic table or algebraic equations.  May he spend as many moments in prayer as he does texting.  May one of the many books on his night stand continue to be the Bible.  More than anything, my dream for him is that the foundation of faith we've instilled remain in tact during these tumultuous teenage years. And may he have a blessed school year filled with JOY!

You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.  - Deuteronomy 6:7


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 photo design by_zpsv1mvteci.png