Thursday, August 23, 2012

Joy in the Sky

It was an easy choice to set up my space by the large, three panel window in the hotel.  The cushy lounge chair was much more appealing than a stuffy, boring brown desk.  Besides, I prefer a pillow to hold my laptop any day over wood. 

And who could resist sunshine, airplanes, and a free fish to keep me company?


Having traveled to Nashville a day earlier than planned, it meant I would spend extra time alone in the hotel.  Tim's work conference "magically" worked out to be the same week as his surgery consult.  One might think it a nice coincidence that the day before our early am doctor appointment, he was needed in Nashville for work, which allowed us to stay the night.  I tend to believe in a higher power though and know that it's just another sign of God's continual watch care over us.

...Like the happy little check that appeared in our mailbox days before this unexpected trip, a payment from an accident policy that had happened months before.  Who knew Noah's broken finger would end up being a blessing?  We've joked with him that we didn't realize what assets his digits would be, but he's not too willing to repeat the process just to help our pocketbook!

The downtime had perks and low points.  It gave me quiet to get a few things accomplished, yet it also was an open invitation to sit and worry about Tim's appointment.  Whenever worry would peek it's ugly head in, I'd counter it with prayers and a glance out the window. 

This hotel literally sat at the end of the airport runway, so plane gazing was an easy and free activity.  I found myself daydreaming about the passengers in the giant vessels as they flew overhead.  Was it someone's first flight?  Honeymooners?  What exotic location was that plane's destination? 

Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed a smaller figure soaring down the runway.  It was playing with the planes, following the same path, wings spread wide.  Flying the length of road with strong and graceful movements, it would break at the end to loop and dive, almost as if showing off to the planes.  I found myself laughing at the sight of this eagle; as much for the playful spirit that it seemed to have, but also because of what (and who) it symbolized. 


this photo doesn't do it justice, as it couldn't zoom, but the wing span was enormous
...as was the joy it brought me

Arriving at just the needed moment to remind me that God has Tim in His hands and - as he always does - He's caring for us. 

Anytime I get a "hello" from Austin, I'm instantly settled, peace-filled.  In this instance, I had to believe it was Austin's way of letting us know all would be ok.  And it was.  Yesterday was God-sent.  From the moment we walked into the office, my burdens seemed lifted.  The kind and gentle face of the doctor immediately put me at ease.  He took his time with us, answered our questions, and best of all, said he could help.  To our great surprise, we learned that help would arrive much quicker than either of us expected. 

"How's this Friday?" the nurse asked at the close of our visit.

As in two days?! I thought....my head reeling, hand on my Iphone to see what our schedules said.  Tim answered before I even had a chance to pull up the calendar with an enthusiastic, "Sounds great!"  At that point, it didn't matter what our To-Do lists contained, my hubby needed relief and yet another gift from above sent us an opening.  A patient had cancelled that same morning, giving us an immediate spot, instead of waiting weeks.  I smiled, thinking of my special eagle. 

While we still have a ways into this journey, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.  Tomorrow is sure to be a long day, but we're going in prayerful and hopeful that the end of this season of pain is drawing near. 

Knowing how early we'll depart and the hours on the road, it's doubtful a Faithful Friday post will come your way.  I'll leave you with a scripture that's been comforting to my heart during this time. 

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.  - Romans 8:28



...Thank you all for your sweet and loving comments and prayers!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 photo design by_zpsv1mvteci.png