Monday, January 9, 2012

Snap. Crackle. Pop

I didn't verbalize any resolutions this year.  Sure, the standard ones crossed my mind but I didn't make it official.  I didn't put it in writing. I didn't even mentally decide on a single idea.  What I've noticed though is that I'm taking small steps that together will hopefully make a big impact.  2012 is going to be my year. 

I think my senior quote was, "the longest journey begins with a single step" and that might be the phrase for 2012.  What I've learned in my 30-something years of experience is that nothing happens overnight.  There are no quick fixes.  No magic dust that when sprinkled makes everything the way we envision.  That's been a hard lesson though, especially when it comes to my health.

Having spent 2011 in a barrage of medical tests that in the end resulted in little help, I'm opting for an alternative route.  Seeing the difference that chiropractic care made in both Tim and Noah this past year, I decided to take time for myself and have an adjustment.  To be able to say I instantly felt a difference, is not something I expected.  Such a quick visit, but after a few twists, pops, and adjustments later, I do though.  And it's one of the monthly "me moments" I'm pledging for myself this year.

What else?  More Water.  Regular Exercise.  Daily time with God.  -Actually, devoting time every day to read my Bible.  My goal?  A healthier, happier me.  Thinner?  Hopefully but it's more than that now.  It's not about appearance, it's about health, endurance, strength.  I'm happy with who I am, I just want to improve the foundation - inside and out.

I've done well in spurts on all of these things but I'm striving to do well continously.  Thanks to a sweet friend I have a giant Tervis Tumbler (complete with a butterfly) that has become my new water jug.  Exercise is a variety.  For the past several months I've done Zumba two days a week.  Basketball season and vacation have eaten in to my attendance but I'm ready to jump back in.  On days I'm not shaking it, I plan to dust off the DVD I won this past year and "Walk at Home," hoping to get in two miles from my living room.  Mom bought me a new Bible for my birthday and I'm keeping it near me as a constant reminder to make time and seek guidance every single day.

Time has been my downfall in the past.  Not feeling like I can put myself first, making excuses that I could better spend that time elsewhere.  Letting life get in the way.  The attitude in general feels selfish.  But I'm at a place, perhaps it is the post 35 jump, that I know it's not.  I am worth it.  I deserve it for me - and for my family.  A better me also makes a better mom, wife, employee.  So the time I may steal elsewhere to put this focus into myself will come back to myself and others tenfold.

I'm always amazed at how God sends me little doses of encouragement.  How simple signs tell me when I'm on the right path.  This morning's devotion, which I read after coming to this realization confirmed it.  In short, it ended with a simple prayer, "Father, give me eyes to see myself the same way You see me. In Jesus Name, Amen."  He loves me just the way I am.  I love me too.  And that's a good place to be.  I just know the me could be better.  So that's my focus for 2012...becoming and being the BEST me!

Did you make any resolutions this year?  What are you doing to stay motivated and committed?  I'd love to hear from you!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 photo design by_zpsv1mvteci.png