Thursday, March 17, 2011

All things green

Top o' the evening to ya! 
In celebration of St. Patty's day, I thought I'd post about all things green that bring me joy.

Grass...
Isn't amazing how bright and full of life the fields are now? 
Sometimes I'm afraid my eyes spend more time on the landscape around me
than they do on the road while I'm driving!

Green Peppers...
I've always loved these vegetables. 
Aside from being a yummy snack (I eat them raw just like an apple), they are a great way to sneak
in nutrition into any dish.  I dice them real small and slide into casseroles and such.

Clover...
of course 4 leaf being the best kind.
Just the thought of them reminds me of carefree days as a child, feeling their softness under my feet and stretched out in the yard scouring for hours to find the perfect one.

Trees...
ok, obviously nature is going to dominate this post.  Sorry about that.
I have always found a strange connection to trees.
  I think they tell a story, each one seeming to have a different personality. 

Green River...
So, I'm playing on the word for this one, as it is normally brown, but I love this river.
I grew up swinging on a rope into it, racing my stepdad across it, and watching crazy boys jump from the cliffs above.  Now it's one of our favorite places to boat and fish.

Olives...
I love, love, love me some olives.  I'll eat them right out of the jar.  Just because.
I do also enjoy their darker cousin but they aren't of the right color for today's post.

Moss...
When I was a child, I spent a lot of time in the woods that surrounded our house.  In those cool deep pockets of the forest, I would find soft patches of moss growing.  I imagined tiny worlds that lived among this outside carpet and would softly run my hand across it.

Frogs...
They're just cute.  I especially like the itty bitty jungle frogs with bright orange feet and big eyes.
Plus, they make me think of my sweet niece, Tina, as they are her favorite.

Herbs...
I found a love for growing and using fresh herbs last year.
Seriously, just get a pot and grow some.  You will feel like Paula Dean!

Going Green...
We don't do as much as we should but our family enjoys being green. 
Anytime I remember to use my canvas bags while shopping, or recycle,
or use energy saving appliances, I feel a little better about how I'm leaving this world.
Most importantly, I'm raising Noah so that hopefully this lifestyle will be a habit for him.

And last but not least, Saint Patrick!
I heard part of frequent prayer of his today on the radio and loved it,
"Christ be with me, Christ within me, Christ behind me, Christ before me,
Christ beside me, Christ to win me, Christ to comfort and restore me."

Being of Irish descent, it's actually one of my dreams to someday visit the Emerald Isle.
I have this vision of finding long lost ancestors and touring the countryside someday.

In honor of the day, I'll leave you with one of my favorite Irish blessings

May God give you...
For every storm, a rainbow,
For every tear, a smile,
For every care, a promise,
And a blessing in each trial.
For every problem life sends,
A faithful friend to share,
For every sigh, a sweet song,
And an answer for each prayer.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 photo design by_zpsv1mvteci.png