Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Silent Nun...

Did that get your attention?  If not, how about the fact that I'll be playing a nun who took a vow of silence in an upcoming CHP production!

Last night, I auditioned for the play, "Alibis" which will be showing at the Courthouse in May.  It's a typical "who-dunnit" mystery with a comedic twist.  I'm excited to get my feet back on the stage, even if my voice will get lots of rest in this role.  As I haven't even read the script yet, that's about all I can say, except that I believe it will be tons of laughs, both on and off the stage.  I'll be sure to post more about the dates as we get closer and hope to see many of my "silent readers" among the crowds!

For those of you who didn't know I love to be on stage, now you do.  I caught the theatre bug way back in high school when two beloved teachers, Mrs. Ranney and Ms. Elmore, shared their love of the arts with us.  I think I was in every play the school performed throughout my four years there and was VP of the Drama club my senior year.

I came a long way from my first small role of "Angel #3" in "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever," where my one line was some whine about my wings being broken.  By the end, I'd had a taste of every level of the theatre from on the stage, behind the stage, lights/sound, and even directing.  And I owe it all to Mrs. R and Elmom.  They molded and shaped us as actors, invested numerous hours for us, and most of all instilled a love of theatre that will be with me forever.

Over the years, I'd often thought about auditioning for our local theatre group - the Courthouse Players, but life and work and kids seemed to trump in priority.  Actually, one of the biggest reasons I didn't, and couldn't, for years was because of position I had with Relay and the many nights and weekends I was already away.  I figured I either would miss every practice, because of the meetings I had, or didn't want to miss a night with the boys on the rare occassions I was home.  When I changed jobs a few years ago, auditioning was one of my goals. 

In 2008, I was in Steel Magnolias, at that time my favorite movie, and I played the role of Truvy.  I made lasting friendships with a group of women and above all am grateful for those relationships.  Never would I have imagined though that the lines we practiced and cried over would come so true for me, just four short months later when I lost Austin.  I will always remember and treasure the moment at the funeral home when all those ladies came as a group, gathered around me in one giant hug, and whispered some of those quotes to me. 

Some people may think it strange that you could grow so close with a group of strangers in just a matter of weeks, but that's what happens.  Often there are better stories behind the stage than on at any production you go to see.  There's drama (of course!), lots of laughter, and often tears.  And that's what I'm looking forward to again.  A new play, new strangers who I'm sure will quickly become friends, and spending time doing something I so passionately enjoy.  I can't wait!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 photo design by_zpsv1mvteci.png