Friday, February 17, 2012

Faithful Friday: Actions & Words

The phrase "actions speak louder than words" can be hard to swallow for a writer.  I happen to think words can be pretty powerful, but I get the point.  When I hear this, I think of the person who is all talk and no action.  Someone who may be well-spoken and seems to always know what to say but never follows through.  And, I'm sure we all know someone we love who is like this too. 

Each time we're failed by them, their words seem to flow in just the right way, to say all the things we want to hear, but in the end they still can't deliver.  For someone who puts a lot of weight on promises, people like that don't sit well with me.  It kind of explains the other phrase, "I'll believe it when I see it."

Luckily, I do not have this type of relationship with my husband.  I know if he promises me something, he's committed - big or small.  And I know I can always trust him to be honest with me - good or bad.  Of course, it doesn't count when his memory fails him, like forgetting to bring home toilet paper!  Over the years, I've just learned where reminders are necessary and use them as needed.

I've been on a high all week from a small but very meaningful "action" Tim did for me.  This was, of course, Valentine's week, a time when many women pine for large bouquets of roses or boxes of chocolates.  That's not me and Tim knows that.  He knows I'd rather have fresh cut flowers than any other type; and I prefer them for no reason at all, not because a major holiday indicates a purchase.  Although I'd never turn down chocolate, I'd be just as happy knowing he waited until after the holiday to catch them 1/2 off.  He knows my love language is quality time, not gifts, and so we've had plans all month for a date this weekend.

So, that's all I expected.  Nothing more.  He'd already surprised me the week prior with a gift card on my pillow for a facial.  He gave it to me before Valentine's so I couldn't use the "no gifts" rule we'd agreed to.  Plus, he said, he wanted me to get pampered on my time, not the spa's.  (Btw...it was amazing - big brownie points he earned there!)  Because of this illegal gift, I truly expected nothing on the big day.   And on V-day, nothing came.  Just as expected.  Which, I was completely ok with.

The next morning, I walked into the kitchen to find an envelope on the table.  I have to admit I was a little grumpy sitting down, as Tim had let me sleep in, but Noah was insistent on me helping with his hair and seeing them off to school.  Since I had to get up soon anyway, I obliged.  Seeing the card on the table, I chuckled, thinking maybe Tim forgot to give it to me yesterday or was again bending the rules by not actually giving me anything on that day.  Instead, I found a sweet message (yes, there were words) but it was his actions and the thought that made it so special.

It said, "This card is late for a reason.  I love you every day, not just on Valentine's."  And I read it, admittedly teary-eyed, because it was so unexpected.  The card wouldn't have had half the impact if he'd given it hours earlier.  He planned it that way and that action meant the world to me.  I've found myself opening it, not just for the catchy tune inside, but to read again the simple but heart-felt message all week.

In the end, I'm not sure I've done a good job relating this Friday's scripture with my story but I did have a point and a purpose.  I guess in the end that one sentence, though used with words, had such meaning because I knew the truth behind them and because of the way he showed it. 

Let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth
- 1 John 3:18

Ponder on that this week....  How can you show those you love them without words?  What actions can you do that speak volumes?

PS - If you read Tuesday's post, you may have been curious about what surprise I'd planned for Tim on Tuesday.  Honoring the no gift rule, I had a message sent to him showing him my love.

In this case, a picture speaks a thousand words.....


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 photo design by_zpsv1mvteci.png