Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Today I am thankful for...

It's November 1st, a month I normally dread (for obvious reasons), but I actually looked forward to today.  On my drive to work, I realized what month it was and found myself actually giddy in anticipation.  You see, today starts my month long "TRAK" project - or "Thankfulness + Random Acts of Kindness" I am doing in memory of Austin. 

If you didn't catch last week's post, explaining my reasons, you can read it here.  Extending what I did one week last year, to an entire month, I will focus on the many things I have to be thankful for every day.  As well, I am opening myself up to search for opportunities to do "random acts of kindness" - each act in memory of my sweet boy.  Simple, every day acts of kindness is what Austin is known and remembered for so I can't think of a better way to honor his legacy.

I won't post everything that is done, mostly because I want them to remain anonymous, but I promise to write about some.  What I will write about every day though is my thankful moment.  Today, I am thankful for my Mom.  Specifically, I am thankful for talks with her.  Nearly every morning, and sometimes in the evenings, I call my mom during my commute.  Most of the time, it's about nothing.  I just like talking with her and look forward to those drives.  We'll talk about our days, events, gossip, what frustrates or worries us, and everything in between.

My Mom is one of my best friends, certainly one of my best "girl friends" as I really don't have a lot of girlfriends outside my family.  She is someone I know is always there to talk, but mostly to listen.  There may be nothing at all she can do to help (whatever I'm going through at the time), but just knowing I can vent to her helps more than she knows.  And, when there's good new to share, she's among my first to call. 

Knowing what it's like to wish you could call and talk to someone you love, perhaps makes me realize how special our relationship is.  I'm so very thankful to have her in my life and treasure our time together.  Though her texts may be random, and she's sometimes hard to reach because she can't find or hear her phone, I sure am glad to know she's on the other end of the line when I need her most - and on just ordinary, average days - because she's my Mom.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 photo design by_zpsv1mvteci.png