Monday, November 15, 2010

Sister Vents

A sister is probably one of the most complicated family relationships there are.  How can you love someone so much one minute and want to wring their neck the next?  There's an unspoken language with sisters, which probably comes from sharing a room and so much of your lives together.  With just a look or a laugh, we know what the other is thinking.

I love all my sisters, and my brother, but I'm probably closest to Wendy.  Coming from a divorced, blended family, she's my only full sister.  I never lived with my youngest two siblings and with my little sister, I was a teenager by the time she arrived.  In fact, we looked so far apart in age than when I had her with me, I'd repeat, "Let's go find Mom," because I didn't want people to think she was mine!  Even today, I feel like I mother Raven because I'm so much older than her.

Wendy and I are only three years apart so we really did grow up together.    Just about every childhood memory I have involves her, good or bad.  As we became older we chose different paths in life and haven't always been as close as I would've liked; however, through the trials of life the past several years, we've seemed to reconnect.

My sister and I are often told we look alike (I don't see it) but we couldn't be more different.  I say we're like two different flowers from a family garden - opposite as night and day.  She was a tomboy as a kid, I was a bookworm.  We completely followed the big sister, little sister descriptions.  I was bossy and wanted to control everything, she was a pleaser and would fall for any prank I'd pull.  We'd play happily one minute, would pull each other's hair the next, and I'm sure the on again/off again made mom want to pull out her own hair.  Now that we're older, I'm a little bit country....she's a little bit rock-n-roll, but we share a common bond of sisterhood that can never be broken.

Some day, I'll capture a few of my favorite sister memories of us growing up.  Today's dose of joy though comes in the form of complaining, which to most may seem pretty negative.  I just love that with Wendy we both know that no matter when, where, or how, we have a safe sounding board.  Whether it is by text, over the phone, or face to face, we can use each other to vent.  The daily annoyances in life can sometimes pile up until you feel like a living pressure cooker.  It's nice to know that I can let off a little stressful steam with her.  And she knows she can do the same with me.  Sometimes, we don't even have to respond but knowing that there's someone on the other end of the complaint makes you feel better. 

Sure, sometimes I may vent about her - she wouldn't be my sister if I didn't - but most of the time I like her on my side, knowing I can gripe about whatever or whoever and she's always there to listen. 

"Having a sister is like having a best friend you can't get rid of. 
You know whatever you do, they'll still be there."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 photo design by_zpsv1mvteci.png