Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The 12 Carols of Christmas

In celebration of the season, I've decided to start a new theme for this blog. Beginning today, I'll be focusing on the "12 ____ of Christmas" with a new "blank" each day, containing items I love about this time of year.  It will also conveniently count down the start of my vacation, and thus perhaps a pause in my blogging for the holidays.

I realize my 12 days start a few days shy of Christmas but it's my blog and I can do that!  Plus, after researching "12 days" last year I learned that the days actually don't even start until Christmas.  Who knew?  So with all that out of the way....let's begin!

With music seemingly filling the air everywhere I go, especially on my commute to Bowling Green, I'm in the mood to write about carols.  I really don't know how you could listen to them, and not be filled with Christmas spirit!  Of course, there are a few non-traditional tunes that get on my nerves but for the most part, after hearing a song or two, I'll be humming, singing and even dancing around with yuletide glee.

In no particular order, here are my 12 favorites - or at least the first 12 I could think of.  Enjoy - and feel free to sing along!

Mary, Did You Know?
no explanation needed, as I shared yesterday,
 the words just speak to my heart!

Joy to the World
makes me smile every time remembering my sweet
Grandpa belting out the song


What Child is This
What Child is this who, laid to rest

On Mary's lap is sleeping?
Whom Angels greet with anthems sweet,
While shepherds watch are keeping?
Much like "Mary" I love the words of this song and the peaceful, melodic tune


While I've always enjoyed this song it wasn't until last year
when the meaning was told to me in a new way that I found a different appreciation

Winter Wonderland
just one of those songs I enjoy singing...all winter long!
 
Do you hear what I hear?

a beautifully written lyrical piece, flows like a poem

Where are you Christmas?
I feel you Christmas
I know I've found you
You never fade away
The joy of Christmas
Stays here inside us
Fills each and every heart with love
a fairly new song, but with wise and treasured words

Baby, It's Cold Outside
I just like singing this song and imagine
(unrealistcially) doing a duet with someone whenever it's on!

You're a mean one, Mr Grinch
favorite cartoon...nuff said!

Let it Snow
Oh the weather outside is frightful,
But the fire is so delightful,
And since we've no place to go,
Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!
....nothing better than a snow day!

I'm getting nuttin for Christmas
Everytime I hear this song, I'm taken back to the 2nd grade.
We were in music class at BDES and I was mimicking this song.
I had everyone rolling in laughter, including a boy I had a crush on.  memories!

Silent Night
My oldest decoration is a worn and tiny little caroler singing "Silent Night".
This was a familiar sight at my Grandma Coons' house
for as long as I can remember.
As a child, I would sit in front of it and read the words to sing the song.
To this day, I can't hear that song without thinking of this decoration and her.



What's your Top 12?





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 photo design by_zpsv1mvteci.png