Tuesday, December 20, 2011

PJs and ABCs

Two of my favorite days of school were the last day before Christmas break and pajama day.  The last day of school before break was always filled with everything a child loves about Christmas - movies, gifts, parties, cookies, candy and more, all wrapped together with a happy little bow.  Pajama day meant one thing....more sleep!  Plus, even back then I had a semi-obsession with the comfy clothing.

Noah got an extra special treat as both of these days are combined for him today!  He went to bed excited and already dressed for school.  Instructing me to wake him up at 6:35, instead of the typical 6:00, he drifted off to dreamland with visions of all the fun he'd have the next day. 

With the extra time, normally spent prodding him to get ready, I decided to make a Last Day of School 2012 breakfast feast.  By the time he lazily joined us, he was treated to eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits and gravy.  We ate among the nervous excitement, giggles and glee of two kiddos, already planning their extended break.

As predicted, moments before we left the house, Noah paused.  I could see the wheels turning as he said, "Maybe I should just change into jeans."  He paced, visited his closet, paced some more.  All the while I'm gingerly encouraging him, reminding that this could very well be his last PJ day ever, as he's a 6th grader now.  After several minutes, he opted to stay clothed in the soft superman sleepwear.

He's always been that way, even back in preschool when most kids wouldn't give a second thought to wearing PJs to school.  One year, he even made me pull in and park to the side, second guessing his memory and worried he'd be the only one to show up under-dressed.  As kid after kid bolted out, donning slippers, robes and matching pj sets, he eased out of the truck, content with facing the day. 

On the way to school this morning, keeping with tradition of driving him to school so he would have an easier time of carrying in gifts and goodies, I was a little misty-eyed.  My little boy, who's not been "so little" for awhile, is growing before my eyes.  Today is his last elementary Christmas party.  Our final $5 gift swap.  Possibly the last time he'll get to stay cozy in PJ's at school.  Wanting to capture the moment, I grabbed my Iphone and clicked to the camera.  With a quick flip of his hood, as if he's used to paparazzi, he hid from my shot.  Oh well, I still know who's under there!

Happy last day of 2012, sweet boy!  May it be filled with the sugary goodness and excitement only Christmas can bring!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 photo design by_zpsv1mvteci.png