Tuesday, January 25, 2011

60 second Joy

I'm reading a book titled "One" which asks the question, how many people does it take to make a difference?  It is filled with many wonderful quotes and exercises.  One of my favorites so far is "We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand, and melting like a snowflake."  The entire book is filled with inspiration for you to make the most of every moment and to use your life to make a difference in the world.

This morning on the radio they asked, "What is the most important 60 seconds of your day?"  And she went on to discuss how we greet our loved ones at the end of the day.  Are the first words out of your mouth, "why are you late?" or "you forgot the milk" or "I've had a horrible day?"  What if we spent that first 60 seconds reconnecting, giving your loved one a true embrace and kiss, and welcoming them home.  How would it change your relationship and you?  I know this is one of my favorite moments of each day, when I know we're all home and safe, when I can wrap my arms around Tim and Noah telling them how much I love them.

Both of these quotes have reminded me to really think about the importance of each day, each moment, every second, and to prayerfully make the most of it.  When I pray each day I ask for guidance so that the day is not about me but Him.  I thank God for yet another sunrise and for time with my family but to use me and this day for Him.  By the end of each day, I'm grateful for every memory but accountable for how I spent all 86,400 seconds.  Most days I fail...but I keep trying and am thankful for the next day's allotment, if he blesses me with it.

On the way home, I heard a promo for a song "This is the stuff"... that drives me crazy. This is the stuff that's getting to me lately. In the middle of my little mess I forget how big I'm blessed.'  I thought it closed my "life lesson" for this week rather well.  It's so easy to let the little things, like long lines, rude people, or minor inconveniences ruin the day.  That stuff can eat away at your seconds and before you know it, your day is gone - wasted on complaining about things you have no control over.

I believe the only way to counter those negatives is with a positive.  You have to change your focus.  When I remember all the moments that so richly blessed me each day, whatever problems there were don't seem so big anymore.  And so I'll end on a positive note, as I recap a few of my day's 60 second JOYs.....
  • Being awoke by my sweet hubby, who knows I don't like alarm clocks so he keeps it on his side and hits the snooze the second it comes on, and our good morning kiss.
  • Cuddling for just a minute under the warmth of flannel sheets.
  • Having two legs and a body that, while it may creak and moan, gets me out of bed on my own.
  • Watching Noah sleep for one sweet minute before I wake him and being amazed every day how much he's changed, just through the night.
  • Seeing Patch's excitement in another day, as he insists through barking to be placed on Noah's bed so he can help in the wake up process.
  • Listening to Noah giggle as Patch licks him in the face and roots all around the covers until he's sure he's awake.
  • Receiving goodbye kisses from Tim and a "Love you, Mom" from Noah as he heads off to school.
.......And today's #1 JOY......hearing the doctor tell Tim, "the results are benign!"

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 photo design by_zpsv1mvteci.png