Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Baby, you can light my fire

Do you feel that?  Do you smell it in the air?  Fall is here!  The house was chilly this morning!  Noah came running to the bed and jumped under the covers with me.  I love snuggling on a brisk morning (or anytime really) and the hardest part is finding the motivation to leave the warmth brave the cold.  We were enticed by the sound of Tim starting a fire in our fire place.

I grew up in a home with a fire place and I've always loved them.  There's something very comforting in those flames and it isn't just the heat they provide.  I enjoy watching the colors flicker and move, rise and fall.  A crackling fire just makes you want to grab a blanket, a hot beverage, and a good book and curl up beside it.

In the Ice Storm of 2009, we were very thankful for our fireplace, as it was our only source of heat for weeks.  We even used it to cook from and heat water on some of the hardest days.  The difficulty though was keeping the fire stoked through the night when we fell asleep.  As a result, we decided to convert it to a gas fireplace last winter.  While I'll miss the scent of the a roaring fire, I consider it a good trade to know that I'll have no mess to clean up, no wood to carry in, and a fire is ready for us with the click of a button at any time.

Sitting by the fire this morning, excited me thinking about all fall has to offer.  I have so many plans, traditions new and old, for October.  Our calendar may be very full next month but thankfully it is packed with joyful activities and great quality moments with the family.  I can't wait for hayrides and pumpkin carving...apple cider and hot chocolate....driving around to view the fall foliage....decorating for the season....festivals full of rides, crafts and yummy food....a mini vacation during fall break...trips to the orchard and the zoo....Halloween costumes and parties galore....scary movies while snuggled on the couch...What a great month!! 

I intend to soak up every morsel of the memories we will make this October!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 photo design by_zpsv1mvteci.png