Thursday, December 9, 2010

Soul-touching gifts

If you've never read the book, "The five love languages," I highly recommend it.  You can even google it and take assessments to learn more about you and the ones you love.  What you learn from this book is that everyone is different when it comes to how they feel loved, thought of, or appreciated. 

For me, quality time shows me someone cares, especially with Tim and Noah.  It doesn't matter what we're doing, as long as we're together.  For Tim, I know his language is physical touch.  For some, it may be words of affirmation, acts of service, or receiving gifts.  Everyone has a mixture of how each of these rank in importance and falling last in line for me is receiving gifts.

Now, this is not to say that I don't enjoy getting gifts because I do; it's just that I don't connect feelings of love with it.  ...most of the time.  There have been a few gifts that really touched my soul and years later I remember the moment I opened it, who gave it to me, and all the warm-fuzzy feelings from that day return. 

One of the most special and touching gifts that Tim ever gave me is my family ring.  What surprised me the most and probably one of the reasons I love it so is because I knew he had to think ahead.  This is a little out of character for Tim, who is known for waiting until the last minute to shop.  With this ring, I knew he had to go to the store and order it, pick out the style, remember the kid's birthdays (and ours), and plan enough in advance for it to arrive.   It is one of the most special Valentine's presents I've ever received.  And really, when you think about it he was spending quality time ON me, just not with me present, which is maybe why it means so much.

Of course, the ring has sentimental value as well because each stone represents someone I love, and together it makes a beautiful piece of jewelry that represents our family.  It is also what I call a soul touching gift because it speaks to me on a different level.  It isn't just pretty, or nice to look at, but it means something for various reasons.

Yesterday, I received another gift that did just that.  It was an office Christmas party, one of two I'll attend this week, and for this location we drew names.  I don't "live" in this office so I don't see these girls every day of the week.  What I love about them though is that even though I may not see them but once a month, they really know me because they've taken the time to invest - and that shows me they care.  The gift I opened was no different; as soon as I pulled it out of the bag, it tugged at my heart.

Shortly after losing Austin, butterflies became very special to me.  There are many reasons, and if you've ever wondered why you can read here and also here.  It isn't something I openly share but it's obvious if you notice things in my office, or on my truck, or by reading my blogs.  The gift I was given yesterday included butterflies and was a beautiful piece of art that the giver made, which makes it even more touching.  With happy tears, I hung it last night by our fireplace, in a spot I'll often see.  It is a gift that truly spoke to me and one I will treasure for years to come.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 photo design by_zpsv1mvteci.png