Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Out of the mouths of babes

There's not much cuter than some of the things kids say.  Sometimes I wish I had a notebook strapped to my wrist to capture all the funny comments that come out of Noah's mouth.  When it happens, I'll think - "Oh, I've got to remember that!" yet when it comes time to retell it, I forget.

The other night we were singing Christmas songs and Noah belted out, "deck the halls with all that's jolly!" but on the "fa la la" part he quickly faded as he realized it was a different version than I was singing.  He said, "Oh, I've always thought it was 'all that's jolly'!"

There's a couple words he commonly gets confused on and I sometimes don't correct him because they're so sweet.  For instance, he'll use the word pacific instead of specific.  And, for as long as I can remember, he's called tootsie rolls, twitsie rolls. 

I know there are so many more stories but for the life of me I can't remember any others right now.  Another post, another day I guess.  He did tell me a funny story yesterday though that I just have to share.  In planning for their school Christmas party, the teacher had made a list of needed items.  The choices each kid could bring were "salty snacks, 2 liters, veggies, chips, sweets, etc"  Noah said, "I picked 2 liters because I knew you had some under the cabinet and I thought it would be easy for you."  (awww)  Then he said, "But do you know some kids raised their hands and said, 'I'll bring ETC'?!"  I started laughing but then I paused and said, "Wait, you do know what that means, right?"  And he did.  He gave me a good definition and example and then we shared the laugh together.

Those little moments of joy are so quick and can often be overlooked in the hustle and bustle of every day, but really, I think those simple times of laughter at what your child has said are sometimes the best.  Each innocent phrase is a peek into a child's mind and a joyful glimpse of God's most precious gift to us parents.  I'm truly thankful for each and every one...even if I forget them minutes later!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 photo design by_zpsv1mvteci.png