Saturday, August 7, 2010

Tube Time

One of the greatest joys of motherhood, for me, has always been experiencing the world through my children's eyes. I can recall so many "firsts" or unique memories that I spent the entire time watching my children and being completely happy in their moment.

Those moments, like watching fireworks reflect in their eyes, were so much more special because of their expression or reaction. Sometimes I would get teary-eyed, feeling so blessed to be in that moment and sharing it with them.

Today was one of those moments. I knew the day was going to be a great one right from the start. For once, in many weeks, this summer day was scheduled to be beautiful. Not too hot, not to cool....just right. It was the perfect day to go boating!

Because the weather has been so difficult this season, we haven't been able to boat much at all. I have missed the feel of the sun on my face and the wind in my hair, with all of God's beauty surrounding me. I've missed lazy days sitting under a shade tree, with the boat softly rocking, while reading a book, fishing pole by my side. I've missed the cool, liquid-velvet feel while floating on my back in the river. And, I've missed the excitement of tubing!

Noah hasn't tubed since this past summer and his last memory of it wasn't a great one. His last time tubing, Tim was playing around and attempted to spook him by zig-zagging the boat, which Noah always loved, but getting a little closer to the bank than normal. The prank didn't quite work out as planned and Noah returned to the boat in tears, afraid he would crash into the treeline had he stayed on the tube a minute more.

In preparation of today, I began trying to build Noah's excitement for our tubing trip. He wanted nothing to do with it. I worried that our fun tubing times were over but I continued to gently prod, like a momma bird nudges her babies to fly, on the drive to the river. Once in, Noah finally agreed to give it one more shot. (It did take a solemn swear by Tim, which I had to oversee, that he would in no way get close to the bank line and that Noah was in complete control of the speed!)

His first go was ok. Nothing too exciting. Very slow. Very straight. No zig-zags. Kinda like Grandma-Tubing but I was happy he tried it. We took a break, had lunch on the beach, swam a little, and then gave it another try.

The second time was AMAZING! Another of those teary-eyed moments for Mom, as Noah was grinning ear to ear the whole time. He used his hand signals to say "speed up!" and "more zig-zags!" and "don't stop, keep going!" Tim couldn't believe the messages I was relaying and kept glancing back, chuckling. We were both so proud of him for jumping in and facing his fears. In the end, I didn't know if we were going to get him to quit. The best part was Noah, still smiling, as he climbed the ladder, announcing that it was, "Awesome!"

I didn't have to be on the tube to feel joy from the day. All I needed to do was watch my little guy's face and share his moment. What a blessing!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 photo design by_zpsv1mvteci.png