Thursday, August 5, 2010

Joy through tears

Today I saw an old friend, who sadly is walking a grief journey too. We've known each other and been friends for years and I've been blessed to work with her through volunteer projects. Our relationship was recently changed and moved to another level though after she suffered a great loss.

I don't want to have friends that I share this in common with. It is a pain you wish on no one. Too see someone you know and love go through the same tragedy though is extra painful. People say, "I can't imagine"and it is so true. Until you've experienced, you do not know. As terrible as the reason is, you are now forever connected by this new bond.

This may seem like a strange way to begin a blog about joy but I've learned that true joy isn't really felt and understood until you've suffered. Maybe living through the pain I have throughout my life just makes me appreciate it a little more than most?

Anyway, what began as a quick hello turned into a mini therapy session for us both. We talked, we cried, we laughed, we hugged. You wouldn't think after a talk like that you'd think of the word joy but I did. I was thankful for seeing her today, no matter how painful it was in the beginning. It brought me joy that through our tears we could help each other heal.

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 photo design by_zpsv1mvteci.png